Civil Marriages

As soon as you have made provisional arrangements for your marriage to take place at Western House, you should contact Hillingdon Registration Office. Please telephone (01895) 250418 for an appointment.

Without the presence of a Superintendent Registrar there can be no marriage and any arrangements for the use of the premises depend entirely on their availability.

It is, therefore, essential that you make an advance booking with the Superintendent Registrar at Hillingdon to ensure their attendance at your proposed marriage as soon as a booking can be accepted. A fee will be payable before the ceremony for the attendance of the Superintendent Registrar for which you will be responsible.

In addition you will also have to give Notice of Marriage to the Superintendent Registrar(s) of the District(s) in which you live. This Notice must be given by each of you but it is valid for twelve months. You should both therefore go to the Register Office where you live as soon as possible after you have decided to get married to give this Notice. You will usually need to make an appointment to give this notice.

When Notice is given in a different registration district from the one where the marriage is taking place, you will have to collect the authority before the ceremony and ensure that it is delivered to the Superintendent Registrar who is to attend the ceremony.

You should be advised that only a civil, non-religious ceremony can be permitted by the Superintendent Registrar. Any music, reading, words or performance that forms part of the ceremony must be secular. The content of the ceremony must be agreed in advance.